Become a Poll Worker
Be a champion of democracy! Become a poll worker in Pennsylvania.
Elections in Pennsylvania are made possible by thousands of regular citizens serving as poll workers across the Commonwealth. We all depend on responsible workers to run smooth elections. Get involved today!
How to Become a Poll Worker
If you are interested in becoming a poll worker, fill out the Poll Worker Interest Form.
After you submit the form, your county's election office will contact you.
You may reach out to the election office to follow up. You can find the contact information on the Contact Your Election Officials page.
Poll workers generally work for the entire day on election day, from before the time the polls open at 7:00 am, until after the polls close at 8:00 pm.
Counties train poll workers on their election day duties. There are also poll worker training videos on the Department of State website.
All poll workers are paid for their time on election day.
Poll Worker Positions
Judge of Elections, Majority Inspector, and Minority Inspector
- These three positions make up the local election board in each precinct.
- The judge of elections is the person in charge at the polling place.
- The judge of elections and the majority and minority inspectors work together to manage the polling place, keep track of the number of voters, and make sure that the returns are delivered to the county election office at the end of the day.
- These positions are filled during municipal elections every four years. The last time these elections took place was 2017, and the next time will be in 2021.
- When the positions are vacant, someone is appointed to the job.
Clerk and Machine Inspector (also known as Machine Operator)
- These workers support the local election board. They are supervised by the judge of elections.
- Clerks and machine inspectors help check-in voters, manage the lines, and make sure voters know where to go at each step in the voting process.
- Unlike the elected positions, these positions are always filled by appointment.